Friday, April 15, 2011

Cookbook Review: Maple Pecan Scones

This is the fourth and final post in my series of reviews from the cookbook The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond. It is part of a mass cookbook review being hosted over at It's a Keeper, which has a due date of today. This means if you were waiting to read them all at once tomorrow would be the day to do it! :)

The recipe for these is NOT to be found on The Pioneer Woman site, but obviously is in the book on pages 68-69. Due to copyright laws, I don't feel comfortable sharing the recipe here, but you can either buy a copy of the book or see if your local library has it, which is what I did for this review. Public libraries are fantastic for these sorts of things where you want to try something out but aren't ready to commit to the purchase. I will be returning this soon, but I have already put it on my wish list for future purchase.


I tend to use my mixer for cutting in the butter whereas the photo in the book shows one of those odd looking whisk like things. So specific aren't I?! :) Small pieces works best in the mixer. I did use the King Arthur Gluten Free multipurpose flour again. Consistency don't you know! I used almond milk instead of cream, and left the coffee out of the icing. Oh, and halved it again. This one was a bit more tricky to cut in half so I used this handy, dandy tool.


My dough was a bit wetter than described in the book, and I had a difficult time transferring it from the "board" to the pan. I ended up just patting it out, and cutting it again on the cookie sheet. I, also, had to bake them about 5 minutes longer probably due to the extra moisture.
The monkey did not like the scone itself, but was caught using his spoon to scrape all of the maple icing (I used maple syrup in it) off the scone and the excess off the plate. Somebody had to eat the scones so I gave my all for the cause. Mmmm!!! I really enjoyed them, and would call them a definite keeper.



It's a Keeper

No comments:

Post a Comment