Monday, April 11, 2011

Cookbook Review: Marmalade Muffins

So a wee bit ago there was a discussion on the It's a Keeper Facebook page about doing a group cookbook review. After much discussion, it was decided to do The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond and The Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics by Ina Garten. For me personally, I decided to do recipes from the first title. Each of them has been made both gluten and (mostly) dairy free. If it is not necessary for you to do this, please feel free, to make them as written in the book.

The recipe for these muffins can be found here on The Pioneer Woman site, and on page 58-60 of the book. I made a 1/2 recipe (this one is easy to divide) in part as gluten free baked goods tend to go bad a bit faster than their wheaten counterparts. Despite making a 1/2 recipe, it still made the 2 dozen mini-muffins that the book says a full recipe will make.

For my substitutions, I decided to keep it simple and went with the gluten free multipurpose blend from King Arthur Flour. I did add guar gum (xanthan gum would work as well) in the amount of 1/2 teaspoon. For the buttermilk, I used her method of souring milk (found on page 40) with the almond milk we currently have in the house. I say currently since we sometimes have coconut or oat milk. I think it easily could just use milk or the non-dairy equivalent.



The results were just as described in the book. These are moist and bursting with flavor. And the brown sugar/juice glaze? Oh. My. Word! These are definitely a keeper!



And I have used this photo before, but the monkey really liked these little muffins.


It's a Keeper

3 comments:

  1. those look so good my mouth is watering! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! These look fantastic! I'm so glad you made them GF! I'm finding more and more readers are interested in those recipes!

    Thanks so much for participating in It's a Keeper's cookbook review!

    Christina @ It's a Keeper

    ReplyDelete
  3. These muffins look delicious! Please share your recipe with our readers by linking up at Muffin Monday. Thanks!

    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-applesauce-muffins

    ReplyDelete