Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Parsnip Applesauce Muffins


I was very excited about this month's SOS Kitchen Challenge ingredient of parsnips as I have never worked with them. I had ideas swirling in my head, and couldn't wait to get started. Plans went awry on November 10th when I was in a car accident. I am alright (my car is not), but I haven't really been up to a lot of baking.


I finally got to the first item this past holiday weekend, and have to say that I was very pleased with the results. These muffins are moist, and just exactly right for tossing in your lunch as a snack. The Monkey gave them a 10, and even my mother agreed that they were good (high praise). So without further ado, mostly as I am running out of time, here are these wonderful muffins.

Parsnip Applesauce Muffins

60 grams sorghum flour
30 grams brown rice flour
30 grams arrowroot starch
60 grams coconut palm sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
4 ounces applesauce
4 ounces non-dairy milk
2 ounces melted coconut oil
1 egg (or equivalent)
6 ounces grated parsnips
2 ounces raisins


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Combine milk and egg (substitute) together in a glass measuring cup. Add applesauce and coconut oil, and mix well. Stir in parsnips and raisins until combined. Pour into a greased 12 muffin pan, and bake for 30-40 minutes. Let cool and enjoy! Makes one dozen.


No comments:

Post a Comment