Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding


In a further effort to clean out our freezer, I retrieved a bag of gluten free vanilla cupcakes (Vanilla Cake Mix from Namaste) and some gluten free mini-muffins that had not been eaten as they didn't raise (i.e. little hockey pucks). These are the base of my pudding, which was a very moist one. I prefer mine more bread like than pudding-y. The rhubarb was a find from thefarmer's market, and my first attempt at stewing. I think I may have had to much liquid in there, but the process was easier than I expected. Again, I offer a way to use ingredients both ingredients that may be going stale or hanging about combined with the current fruits of the season. Enjoy!



Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding

2 eggs
1/2 Cup non-dairy milk
1 Cup diced strawberries
1 1/2 Cups stewed rhubarb*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 mini vanilla cupcakes, cubed
12 mini-muffins, cubed
white chocolate sauce*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 6 ramekins with non-stick spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, rhubarb and strawberries. Add cubed cupcakes and muffins. Stir to coat. Divide evenly between ramekins. Place in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until bread tops are slightly crisp. Pour sauce over the top. Serve warm.


*Stewed Rhubarb:
1 1/2 Cups rhubarb, diced
water to cover
1/2 Cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Place rhubarb in a small saucepan. Just cover with water, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes until falling apart. Remove from heat and add in sugar and cinnamon until dissolved. Pour into a glass measuring cup. If it is less than 1 1/2 Cups don't worry. I honestly think it was to much.

White Chocolate Sauce:

4 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
6 squares white chocolate from a baking bar

Melt stirring constantly over a low heat. Pour over warm pudding.



1 comment:

  1. I would so enjoy that. I'm the only one in my family who loves rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete