Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Apple Cider Muffins

I have attempted to modify my mom's Favorite Muffin before (here) and it went horribly, horribly wrong. After doing some research on various recipes using apple cider, I discovered that I didn't have or couldn't use all of the ingredients included. So, I went back to the drawing board to create something that worked. I got lucky this time around, and everything came out just right. I was thankful since I needed them to work for an early morning call time for our family day trip to New York City yesterday to see the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City. I think they could only be made better by my mom's apple butter slathered on them.


Apple Cider Muffins

3 eggs
3/4-1 Cup apple cider
1/2 Cup applesauce
1/4 Cup canola oil
splash of vanilla extract (teaspoon or so)
450 grams Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All purpose flour
230 grams sugar
2 Teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons xanthan gum
2 Teaspoons apple pie spice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In stand mixer, combine eggs, 3/4 Cup apple cider, oil, and vanilla extract. Add flour to the wet mixture about 50 grams at a time. Add the xanthan gum, baking powder, and apple pie spice. Mixture should be a bit thin. If it is a bit on the thick side, add the extra 1/4 Cup apple cider. Grease mini-muffin tins with a non-stick spray. Bake for 40-5o minutes or until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


P.S. I think these would be great as an accompaniment to a holiday brunch or pot luck! See more ideas at A Gluten Free Holiday!

2 comments:

  1. SO Cute!! Apple cider AND muffins? Well you have my attention!!! :-) These sound so delicious! Thank you SO much for sharing this on my "A GF Holiday: Breakfast/Brunch Roundup!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke - You just won a cookbook via my giveaway!! Can you please email me ASAP (gingerlemongirl at gmail dot com) to let me know your address and I"ll let you know which book you won! Thank you so much! Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete