Monday, December 20, 2010

Grandma Darling's Sugar Cookies Revisited!

About a year ago a friend did one of those tagged posts where you had to respond with a recipe. I chose my great-grandmother's recipe for sugar cookies as they are delicious and easy. When it came cookie time again, I knew that I would need to alter them for the monkey. I debated a number of options with using the King Arthur Multipurpose flour being chief among them. I wanted to keep it simple. Then I remembered that I had a box of the Better Batter All Purpose Flour. I decided to go ahead and use the latter as I had been wanting to see why Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom loved it so much. In this case, it was a fairly simple one for one substitution, and they were exactly like the one's I grew up with minus the frosting. (I am so not a frosting person on cookies, and a straw poll on Facebook showed that about 50% of respondents agree with me!)


Grandma Darling's Sugar Cookies (now gluten, soy, and corn free!)

2/3 Cup butter
150 grams sugar
1 egg
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Teaspoon grated orange peel
300 grams Better Batter All-purpose flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
3-4 Tablespoons non-dairy milk


Cream sugar and butter in mixer. Add egg and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Add vanilla and orange peel; mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Divide in half. Chill one hour. Keep half chilled while rolling the other to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut and bake at 375 degrees F for 8-12 minutes.

Note: I prefer my cookies a little thinner and crisper. The monkey told me they looked burned so I did a few for him that were thicker. Icing or not is up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment