Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ratio Rally Fritters

Or something like that! There was some discussion about what ratio to use for this month's rally. Do we do yeast-raised donuts or cake doughnuts/fritters? The group decision was to leave it open and see what everyone came up with. I went with fritters, in parts as yeast-raised anything scares me a bit. Going to have to bite the bullet soon, but with everything that was going on in August I opted for something a little less difficult for me.

I have been playing with donuts off and on since January, but think they will be getting an overhaul now that I have this ratio thing under control. The ratio for fritters from Rhulman is 2:2:1 (flour:liquid:egg). I decided to go with the lovely apricot again this month. We both love them, and they were an unusual addition to a fritter. Now, I might have gone overboard with the fruit. I don't think that the traditional doughnut shop apple fritter ever has enough fruit in them. These are loaded. Reduce as you will the amount of fruit! :)




This month's rally is hosted by Meg at the Gluten Free Boulangerie. You can find all of this month's fabulous doughnuts there. For a little background on the rally, see the inaugural month at the Gluten Free Girl on pancakes!


Apricot Fritters

20 grams potato starch
40 grams white rice flour
60 grams sorghum flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
40 grams turbinado sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 ounces non-dairy milk
1 egg (equivalent of 2 ounces)
2 small apricots

In a small pan, place the apricots in about an inch of water. Bring to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Turn them over half way through. Remove from pan to cool. Peel and dice the apricots. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon. Whisk together. Set aside. In a glass measuring cup, measure out the milk and egg. Whisk together. Add to dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in apricots.

Bring your favored oil (I used canola) to about 300 degrees. I can't tell you how much oil, because I just dumped. Drop by rounded tablespoon or small cookie scoop into the oil two at a time. Turn once as it gets golden on each side. Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar. Ah, heck. Serve cold dusted with powdered sugar.


6 comments:

  1. That's a tasty looking batch of fritters. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I love apricot. I would love these - they look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you - I always want more fruit in my fritter! Yours sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made fritters before, but I like the idea of apricots in them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually see fresh apricots used in anything, & certainly never seen them in fritters before - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we could put apricots in everything and my Monkey would not mind. Thanks all! :)

    ReplyDelete