Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rooty-Oat Breakfast Cookies


These cookies were an idea I had back in November when the SOS Kitchen Challenge ingredient was parsnips. Took me a couple of months, but Saturday's snow-in got them out of my head and into a bowl. The Monkey did not like them, and it didn't occur to me until my mom and sister pointed out that I did indeed put the coconut he accused me of in them. Yep, never occurred to me that the coconut oil would give a strong coconut flavor to these cookies. :)

These are a bit dry, which I think I will fix next time by adding an ounce more coconut oil. Or would you do that for me and let me know how it goes?!



Rooty-Oat Breakfast Cookies

4 ounces coconut oil, melted
2 ounces agave nectar
4 ounces (or 1/2 Cup) each grated sweet potato and parsnips or carrots
90 grams brown rice flour
45 grams tapioca starch
60 grams rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 Cup each slivered almonds, Sun maid fruit bits, Enjoy Life chocolate chips
drizzle of vanilla
couple of shakes of cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl combine the coconut oil, agave, flours, and oats into a paste. Add the grated vegetables. Stir well. Then add fruits, chocolate chips and nuts. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop out a dozen balls. Roll them and flatten slightly onto an un-greased baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly crisp on the sides. Cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet and remove to a cooling rack. Makes approximately 2 dozen.





No comments:

Post a Comment