Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sweet Potato Goodies


I LOVE sweet potatoes! I could live on them forever. So versatile, so yummy, so not pumpkin. :) We put sweet potatoes in our pot pie, make hot rolls, Pittsburgers, and of course the obligatory candied ones for the winter holidays. The latter has been my job for at least a decade. This year I am going to learn how to make marshmallows to put on top of the Christmas ones for the monkey. That said I had never made sweet potato fries or regular fries for that matter. My first batch were crispy critters, as I was so focused on frying up chicken nuggets that I forgot about the fries until I smelled them burning. The second batch were made on Sunday for the monkey's birthday meal. They were tasty, but not as crisp as I would have liked. Cue Monday night when I put them in some peanut oil in a skillet. Perfection! Both of these recipes are being submitted for the November SOS Kitchen Challenge.


Sweet Potato Fries

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 Tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 Teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon

Toss all ingredients in a medium bowl. Spread evenly on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-30 minutes. Finish off in a skillet of hot peanut oil for approximately 5 minutes stirring/flipping constantly. Just make sure to watch them.

Brown Sugar-Cardamom Dipping Sauce

2 Tablespoons butter/margarine/dairy free substitute
1/8 Cup brown sugar/sucanat
1/4 Teaspoon ground cardamom

Melt together in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring continuously. You will need to add a tablespoon or two of water to thin it out.


Do you recognize this cookbook? This is the 1979 edition that I picked up at a yard sale a year or so ago in anticipation of giving it to the monkey. It is the one my mother gave to me many years ago, and from which I made my very first meal (pork chops, mouse salad and chocolate covered frozen bananas). I had been wanting to make a sweet potato bread and found my answer here in their pumpkin nut loaf. It is the perfect holiday indulgence without being overly sweet or filled with empty calories. This recipe is really very tasty, but a bit chewy for my tastes. I will probably add a bit more flour next time. It makes two small loaves. I think it might be the perfect thing for Slightly Indulgent Tuesday!

Spiced Sweet Potato Bread

1 Cup Better Batter flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar/sucanat
8 Teaspoons butter, softened (shortening is called for in the original-a dairy free substitute would work as well)
1 egg (or egg substitute)
1/2 Cup sweet potato, mashed
1/8 Cup non-dairy milk
1/4 Cup dried cranberries and/or chopped nuts


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 small loaf pans and set aside. Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add egg and beat well. Stir in sweet potato and milk. Mix in flour, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda and vanilla. Stir in cranberries and/or nuts until just combined. (Note: This would be good with any sort of dried fruit and/or nuts. The monkey just happens to prefer cranberries.) Spread evenly in prepared pans. Put into oven and bake for about 1 hour. Remove and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.


Submitted to Friday Foodie Fix on December 17, 2010

What is that ingredient that just makes you giddy or want to try it in all sorts of foods?

1 comment:

  1. I have sweet potato fries all the time, but always cook them in the oven, not a skillet. . . but it does take some timing to get the crispness just right! Thanks for submitting this to the SOS Challenge this month--love those sweet potatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete