Monday, January 10, 2011

Pineapple Crinkles

I picked up a tiny cookie cookbook at the Catholic Church yard sale this past year. I was excited about the possibilities of making "old fashioned" cookies! It is a Spry cookbook from 1953. What is Spry? I didn't know either. :) Apparently Spry was created to be competition for Crisco, and did fairly well. (Read more about it here.) After the monkey's diagnosis, I was excited to think that we could do a number of different cookie conversions.


The cookies that caught my eye were the Pineapple Crinkles as the monkey and I are big fans of pineapple, and I used to make this luscious little confection with pineapple that I wanted to recreate. I thought about the variety of ways I could alter them, and decided on a basic flour mix and a replacement of the Spry with butter. Then the SOS Kitchen Challenge January ingredient was posted, which is coconut oil. I thought, "Hey, I could replace the Spry with coconut oil."


It was a really great idea. The dough turned out lovely, and smelled great cooking up in the oven. I was so excited to taste them that I burned my tongue on one right out of the oven. The downside is that they aren't really all that pineappley even with the glaze of powdered sugar and pineapple juice that I added. That said, I think we will just go with Crinkle Cake Cookies as the name to avoid the wish for a strong pineapple flavor. I am going to keep working on a real pineapple cookie.


Crinkle Cake Cookies

1/2 Cup coconut oil
120 grams coconut palm sugar
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon orange peel, fresh or dried
1 egg or the equivalent egg substitute
1/2 Cup crushed pineapple, drained & reserved
110 grams sorghum flour
30 grams tapioca starch
30 grams arrowroot starch
60 grams white rice flour
1/2 Teaspoon xanthan gum
1 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon baking soda

Combine coconut oil, palm sugar, salt, orange peel, and egg or egg equivalent in large mixing bowl. Beat thoroughly. Add crushed pineapple, and mix until just combined. In a medium bowl, combine all flours, starches, xanthan gum, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour a bit at a time into the wet mixture until completely combined. Drop by teaspoonfuls (I like my Pampered Chef small scoop) on a greased cooking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to a wire rack over waxed paper for cooling. Pour glaze by tablespoons over the cookies while still a bit warm. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Glaze (optional): In small bowl combine 1 Cup powdered sugar and 4-6 teaspoons reserved pineapple juice. Drizzle over cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, do those ever sound great! The glazed ones look like mini-donuts. :) I love pineapple but rarely bake with it, so I really can't wait to give these a try. And I daresay, I can even eat them! (yay). Thanks for a great SOS submission this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I bet these are a wonderful flavor combination to distract you from the cold of winter! Thanks for your submission! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound so tasty! I love pineapple in anything, I can't wait to try these. I don't do well with sorghum flour so I'm going to experiment a little.

    ReplyDelete