Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Double Chocolate Cherry Muffins

I somehow missed the first call for the Ratio Rally, which I still find odd given that new year's resolution I had to keep up with my reading. Maybe I have overstretched myself a wee bit?! Never!! :)


That said, each month bloggers will be taking different food items (is items the word I am looking for? probably not but it will have to do), and creating recipes using ratios. Seems sort of self explanatory from the name, doesn't it? Every time I try to explain this ratio thing and how it applies to baking/cooking I get puzzled looks. So, I direct you to the inaugural host, The Gluten Free Girl, who puts it forth much clearly than I do.

This month was muffins or quick breads, and is hosted by Silvana Nardone at Silvana's Kitchen (go there to see all the other yummy muffins and breads that were made). I had the best idea right off the bat. I did not have great success off the bat, which seems to be par for the course for me. So back to the drawing where I spent a lot of time working on my ratio (2 dry, 2 liquid, 1 egg, 1 fat), and finally came up with a combo I liked on paper that was pretty darn close to that ratio.

Ingredients in the house? check.
Recipe set? check.
Baker ready to go? Um. Can I have another week?

I came down with some sort of raging, hacking, sore throat, fever inducing cooties this last week. I spent all day Saturday (the planned baking day) laying on my floor in flannel jammies under two blankets dozing in and out while the younglings played on the Wii. On Sunday night, I finally got that second batch going. Had to wait for my sister to try the "muffin" before deciding I could play this month. This muffin is very dense, rich, and nearly brownie like. Enjoy!


Double Chocolate Cherry Muffins

80 grams teff flour
30 grams sorghum flour
30 grams cocoa powder
60 grams arrowroot starch
110 grams or 3/4 Cup pureed dark sweet cherries
90 grams or 1/2 Cup almond milk (or dairy/non-dairy of your choosing)
1 egg
1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
20 drops liquid stevia
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon guar gum

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large mixing bowl, stir together flours, arrowroot starch, and cocoa. Add guar gum and baking soda. Set aside.

It takes approximately 2 individual size applesauce containers of cherries minus a few to make the 3/4 or 110 gram puree. Microwave on high for about 1 minute for each bowl. Add to your food processor a bit at a time until you have the right amount. I saved four to dice and put in the batter for a bit of extra texture. Those little applesauce bowls are good for melting the coconut oil as well.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, cherry puree, egg and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Add melted coconut oil and chopped cherries. Stir until just combined. The batter will be very thick. Fudge like. :)

Using a small cookie scoop, place batter into mini muffin tins. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Glaze while warm. Makes about 2 dozen mini muffins.

Glaze:

15-20 frozen cherries
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1-3 teaspoons water

Microwave the cherries for 90 seconds. Puree the cherries with the powdered sugar adding water to thin as necessary. Don't worry about random bits of cherry. This is a chunky glaze! Glaze muffins while warm.


12 comments:

  1. Love, love chocolate and cherries together. Yum! :D I'm getting so excited about this ratio baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, chocolate and cherries are a wonderful pair- a recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa at Gluten Free CanteenApril 6, 2011 at 1:38 PM

    glad you're feeling better! chocolate and cherries, what could be better?! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh what a decadent version! And the cherry glaze?? yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Dense, rich, nearly brownie-like" muffins? Yes please! Those sound amazing. And don't you just love coconut oil? Glad you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, these look divine! Glad you're feeling better and had time to take part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. chocolate and cherry is a fave combo. And brownie-like consistency is a definite win in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing; so happy to hear that you are feeling better and I'm thrilled to be a part of this Rally with you! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. chocolate and cherries - what I fabulous combination! During cherry season, I sometimes eat so many my digestion suffers - but I can't stop, I love them so much. I also appreciate using a sub for sugar. I'm glad you were feeling well enough to participate in the rally.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brooke, those sound and LOOK amazing! I'm not always a cherry lover (weird, I know!), but when you pair cherries and chocolate in a muffin or a cookie, I'm right there. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the great comments! The monkey, his Auma and I are all big fans of chocolate-covered cherries, which is what inspired the muffin. Nothing better in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete