Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Ratio Rally Pot Pie



It is time again for the gluten free ratio rally. This month's theme was pie, and I can tell you that I was not overly excited about it. Mostly due to the fact that I have never made a successful pie that didn't include a pre-made graham cracker crust or was simply a dump cake sort of thing. I dithered. I will admit it. I wasn't sure what to do until just a week or so ago when the Monkey asked if we could have pot pie (his very favorite food in the whole world) for his birthday dinner. My ah-ha moment hit about 10 minutes later. I had been trying to come up with something sweet when I should have focused on the savory.



It was a good thing the idea hit me or I wouldn't have been able to participate in the rally this month. What is the rally? A group of gluten free bloggers who are baking/cooking by ratio's around a central theme each month with a new host. This month our host is Lisa of the Gluten Free Canteen. Head on over and check out her post and the links to all the other luscious pies!


Chicken Pot Pie
Note: The ratio is 3:2:1 (flour:fat:water)

Crust:

240 grams potato flour
90 grams potato starch
120 grams brown rice flour
1 Cup salted butter, softened
4 ounces ice water (or so)

Preface: I was a doofus and only did a 1/2 Cup of butter to start with as my math brain wasn't working properly. When I realized my mistake, I softened another cube of butter and retrieved my rounds from the fridge. I did have to add a bit more water. You shouldn't have to. :)



Stir together all the flours in a mixer. Add butter and continue mixing on low speed. Add ice water an ounce at a time until a nice ball forms. Divide into four (yes four) equal parts, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in the fridge for a minimum of one hour. Preferably longer.


Filling:

4 Cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
1/4 Cup potato starch
6 ounces non-dairy milk
1 1/2 Cups sweet potato, peeled & diced
2 Cups potato, peeled & diced
1 1/2 Cups frozen peas & carrots
4 chicken tenders, boiled & shredded
season to taste

Bring water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add bouillon cubes and boil until dissolved. Set aside. Might as well put your potatoes on to boil at the same time as the water. Probably boil them for 10 minutes until tender, but not mushy. Drain and set aside. This is when I did the chicken, as well. :)

Remove a 1/2 Cup of broth to a small bowl. Add potato starch and stir until dissolved. This will be added back in a little bit. You will want to spray a 9 inch pie plate, and either pat in one crust or roll it out and flip it in. I opted for patting. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

While it is baking bring your broth back to a boil, and slowly add in the broth/starch mixture stirring constantly. Add in the milk continuing to stir. Retrieve the potatoes, chicken, and frozen vegetables to add to the pan. Add any spices you might like. We kept it simple with a bit of basil, a good deal of black pepper and some sea salt. Reduce heat to medium stirring occasionally.

Your bottom crust should be done. Remove it from the oven and set it to the side. Time to roll out the top crust. I actually managed this using wax paper and potato flour. Just place it in between the wax paper and roll carefully. Don't want paper sticking to your dough. Measure out two cups of filling into your pie plate. Carefully flip your top crust onto the top and seal as best you can. Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes. The top should be a darker brown than it went in as. Serves 4.

Note: Did you notice that there were four crusts and extra filling? Make yourself another pie why don't you!!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like terrific birthday food! Great job for the pie challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love chicken pot pie and yours looks wonderful! Great job on your ratio rally offering!
    Blessings,'
    ~Mrs. R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, happy birthday pie. Yay. That crust looks fabulous and flaky! I bet it tasted great - the pot pie looks delicious, Brooke. What did you make with the other pie crust?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to him! This crust looks really golden, flaky and delicious ... yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah thanks. Not sure how it came to be his favorite food, but if he will eat veggies I am all over it. :)

    I made a second pot pie to share! :)

    ReplyDelete