Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Spiced Oatmeal Pancakes


Have I mentioned the Monkey's obsession with oatmeal? Seriously, he could eat it three times a day if I let him. Just the other day, he told me he needed to start eating hot cereal now that it is getting to be winter. So he opted for cream of rice. I just had to shake my head since he ate oatmeal, a hot cereal last time I checked, all summer long. Such a silly boy.

Anyway, this recipe came from his love of oatmeal and my desire to have a great recipe using oat flour. The catch for me appears to be making my own flour from rolled oats in my little food processor. Maybe not as finely ground as the stuff from the store, but it works for me. I have made these a few times now, and they just keep getting better. Serve them with homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam, marionberry syrup or just plain ol' maple syrup. It's all good!

Spiced Oatmeal Pancakes

100 grams oat flour
60 grams brown rice flour
40 grams arrowroot starch
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons coconut palm sugar
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 Cup non-dairy milk

Measure and whisk together all the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Use a glass measuring cup for the non-dairy milk. Add eggs to milk, and mix to combine. Add to flour mixture and stir until combined. Warm your pan/skillet/griddle. We use a pan with oil to coat the bottom. Pour by 1/8 cup portions into pan turning when the tops start to bubble. Serve warm. Makes about 12 smallish pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment