Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ratio Rally Tortillas

When the Monkey was first diagnosed with his allergies, I was all gung-ho to make everything from scratch, and tortillas were near the top of my list due to his excessive love of the bean burrito. Let me say that my one and only attempt was a failure. Not just any failure, but a huge flop. They couldn't even be cooked it was that bad. Sigh.


So we looked into alternatives and found the brown rice tortillas from Food for Life. These are good, but went bad before we could use them all. So, I just gave in and we dealt with the flour tortillas. His allergy causes behavioral issues, and since we didn't do it often I was okay with this level of exposure. You will find that we make decisions like this a lot around here.Since then those tortillas have become available in the frozen section giving them a longer shelf life, but again I just couldn't see the point given the frequency (say maybe one or two a month?) that we ate them.

Shredded chicken, peppers, adzuki beans, & a bit of mango sauce

Tortillas were on my mind again though when I decided to host the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally. After a little discussion, I was put on the calendar for this month, and I started doing my research. Know what my research shows? That there really isn't a standard ratio for this "baked" item. Rhulman doesn't have one, and every recipe that I have looked at is just enough different that you can't make a generalization. Or at least that is my interpretation of it.


You do need three things. Flour, water and fat. I think at the final hour I finally licked this ratio thing. At least in the sense that I found something that works even if it isn't pretty. The math? You have heard me mention that my math brain doesn't work real good, right? I ended up with roughly (verrrrry roughly) a 2:1:1 ratio of flour:water:fat. It really isn't that clean, but we will leave it at that and you can play with it, right?


Before I get to my recipe, I want to make sure you can go and visit all the amazing bloggers who have participated this month in the tortilla/wraps challenge. Please visit, comment, and re-create their creations. :)


Jenn | Jenn Cuisine Corn Tortillas
Jonathan | The Canary Files Vegan Curried Flour Tortillas 
Meg | Gluten-Free Boulangerie Lefse (Norwegian Potato Flatbread)
Pete and Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem Flour Tortillas
TR | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies Gluten Free Flour Tortillas - Quesadilla
Heather | Discovering the Extraordinary Sundried Tomato & Basil Tortillas
Charissa | Zest Bakery Paleo Grain-Free and Gluten-Free Tortillas
Karen | Cooking Gluten Free! Gluten Free Healthy Flours Tortillas



Buckwheat Tortillas

100 grams buckwheat flour
60 grams brown rice flour
40 grams potato starch
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons hot water
1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil

This recipe from Jazibe's Recipes was the one that got this off the ground.

So measure it out and mix it up. Add water and oil to a well in the middle of your flour. Mix it with your extremely clean hands until it comes into a nice ball. If it is still crumbly feel free to add another tablespoon or two of hot water. This is what did the trick for mine.  Roll into 6 fairly equal balls and let rest for 10-20 minutes under a damp cloth. Roll them out one at a time to about a 6 inch diameter. Cook in a warm skillet (Or griddle. oh, how I wish I had one of those) for about 90 seconds on each side. Cool and fill with whatever you like.

Black beans & rice with a bit of guacamole? yes please!



12 comments:

  1. Yum! So glad you can now make the Monkey flour tortillas. I bet he loves them! Thank you for hosting and thank you for sharing, Brooke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for hosting, Brooke! This was a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to change the flavor content, because he really is more of a "white" flour kind of guy. I can't wait to make him some. Now to perfect a cheese sauce.

    On my agenda post work tonight is to come and check out your posts. I love that part of the rally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest daughter is going gluten free. I will have to play around with your recipe and make some for her. That is one of the things she commented that she would miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to send this to my husband. he's doing a lot of gluten free stuff right now and I think he would really enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe! :) I have a friend who's husband only eats gluten free... this would be great for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love anything gluten free and these look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try to make these. I have been eating all whole grain for the last month, but still feel very tired and think it's a gluten sensitivity. Can't hurt to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW - hard job there. I went GF for 3 weeks to see if that was my problem. THough I felt lots better at the end of those weeks, it was so hard to stay on that diet. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete