Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Ratio Rally Cobbler

About a week ago, I had the rare opportunity to be off on a Sunday morning. I got to attend church for the first time since Easter, and then went with my family to a farmer's market at a local orchard. I was excited to see what fruits might be available since I knew I needed something for this challenge. The only fruit there though were these Baldwin apples. Picked them up even though I had wanted to do something a little more exotic than apple cobbler.

Then my brain started whirling, and I thought why not add cranberries to the mix? Yes, I know traditionally cobblers are a one fruit wonder, but I decided to live on the edge. :) Heck, we went all out and this is a chocolate cobbler. Oh, yeah! 

For those of you unfamiliar with the Gluten Free Ratio Rally, I invite you to the inaugural post of pancakes. It is a simple idea of baking using ratios. This month we are hosted by TR of No One Likes Crumbly Cookies. Go check out all the other fabulous recipes from this month!


Apple-Cranberry Cobbler

1 1/2 Cups apples, peeled, cored, sliced thinly
1/2 Cup cranberries
1 teaspoon cinnamon
100 grams sorghum
60 grams teff
40 grams dark chocolate cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
120 grams coconut palm sugar
1/2 Cup butter, melted
8 ounces non-dairy milk

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butter in a pie plate, and put in oven while putting together everything else. Combine apples, cranberries and cinnamon in a small bowl, and then set aside. In a larger bowl combine, sorghum, teff, cocoa, baking powder and sugar. Add milk slowly and stir until just combined.

 A lot of recipes I looked at said to just pour this batter over the top of the melted butter in your pan. I decided to combine it in. You can do it either way. Spoon the fruit carefully on the top. Place in oven and bake at 350 for about 75 minutes. Remove and cool.



4 comments:

  1. I love your post! How's the texture of the crust with the way that you went about combining the dough?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is more cake like. I love it. Reminds me a lot of the recipe I have from my great-grandma Faun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Adina... chocolate in cobbler = HEAVEN.

    This looks wonderful, Brooke. I love how you used local ingredients for it.

    ReplyDelete