Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Mantra for the Mother of a Toddler


In the last week, we have had some lovely times the boy & I. For an example, last Friday we had to take my father to the airport. Séamus actually woke up about 20 minutes before we had to leave while I was getting ready. He said he wanted some juice, but when I went to get the juice he cried like I had hurt his feelings & told me he didn't want juice he wanted a snack (that was a runon sentence wasn't it my English teacher friends?!). Only to start crying again when I opened the cupboard to get one of his little bowls for fruit snack or peanut butter crackers (gave him a choice). He didn't want a snack, he wanted juice. We went around like this including forays into putting on his coat & hat and the ever popular I want to play not go routine. It ended with me standing at the front door while he walked away into the bedroom crying all the while. I had to go grab him up at that point or we would have been late. He cried all the way to the car where he both did & did not want to be in his car seat and did & did not want to help momma turn on the car (what I do while I wait for him to be ready for the car seat)

This is just a sample of our interactions recently, and I have to tell you that it is beginning to drive me completely insane. I keep repeating, "He is only two. This to shall pass." Doesn't work but I keep trying especially when I want to cry out, "Will it never end?!"

We have had a pleasent couple of days, and I am waiting for my little imp to turn back completely into my screaming monkey. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. I had to comment on this one. My Mom has a picture of me and my brother and in it I am crying; just bawling away. I sort of remember it, but I was like 3 at the time. Several years ago we were talking and it came up. She asked me what the problem was that day. I still have no idea.

    ReplyDelete