Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ratio Rally: Bread


It is time again for the Gluten Free Ratio Rally hosted by Karen of Cooking Gluten Free. This month was bread, my arch-nemesis. Those of you who have been around awhile will recall that I had horrible results when we first went gluten free trying to make bread and/or find a store bought that the Monkey would eat. When we finally found a frozen bread he would eat, I stopped trying to make a sandwich bread, and concentrated my efforts on less frustrating endeavors.

In walks this months challenge with a big grin on its face. I was so not taking that, and dove right in after contemplating what I was going to do. It was obvious after I remembered the big, ol' bag of buckwheat flour I had bought for another project. Everything seemed to be going well until I went to cut into it. My ratio was pretty near the 5:1 (flour:liquid) that is recommended. It came out a bit dry and a little crumbly. Stood up okay to the sandwich test. I think it needs a bit more liquid even though it looked alright. Sadly, the Monkey thought it tasted yucky. Brat! I think I will be trying a potato bread variation next.


200 grams oat flour
200 grams buckwheat flour
80 grams tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda


2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 Cup honey or agave
1 egg
1 Cup vanilla non-dairy milk
1 1/2 teaspoon yeast


This is what it looked like before raising.


After raising



Out of the oven


End result: It looked good, tasted good, and made a good sandwich. It just isn't quite right so you aren't getting a "real" recipe. Sorry!

6 comments:

  1. Bread really is a challenge, as simple as it seems, with the stickiness of the dough. I bet this tasted great for the adult palates though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids can be so picky. :-) Glad you participated in the rally!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, even if the Monkey didn't care for it, you know you're on the right track. :) Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a lot of luck with gluten free potato breads, hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, too bad about the Monkey! It can be so frustrating when kids dismiss food we labored over. Hopefully potato bread will be more to his liking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These days it is hard to get home loans. Either its home equity loan or its mortgage loan and availability of easy home equity loans is in full bloom. These loans are uncomplicated, tenable, easily available, very flexible and tailor-made for homeowners. The best part about all this is that almost every loan lending or financial institution offers loans at high rate but Mr Pedro offers low loan rate @ 2% rate in return of such Business loan,Personal Loan, Home Loan, Car Loan.
    You can contact Mr Pedro on pedroloanss@gmail.com And whatsapp Phone Number: + 1-863-231-0632

    ReplyDelete