It is time again for the Gluten Free Ratio Rally hosted by Karen of Cooking Gluten Free. This month was bread, my arch-nemesis. Those of you who have been around awhile will recall that I had horrible results when we first went gluten free trying to make bread and/or find a store bought that the Monkey would eat. When we finally found a frozen bread he would eat, I stopped trying to make a sandwich bread, and concentrated my efforts on less frustrating endeavors.
In walks this months challenge with a big grin on its face. I was so not taking that, and dove right in after contemplating what I was going to do. It was obvious after I remembered the big, ol' bag of buckwheat flour I had bought for another project. Everything seemed to be going well until I went to cut into it. My ratio was pretty near the 5:1 (flour:liquid) that is recommended. It came out a bit dry and a little crumbly. Stood up okay to the sandwich test. I think it needs a bit more liquid even though it looked alright. Sadly, the Monkey thought it tasted yucky. Brat! I think I will be trying a potato bread variation next.
200 grams oat flour
200 grams buckwheat flour
80 grams tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 Cup honey or agave
1 Cup vanilla non-dairy milk
1 1/2 teaspoon yeast
This is what it looked like before raising.
Out of the oven
End result: It looked good, tasted good, and made a good sandwich. It just isn't quite right so you aren't getting a "real" recipe. Sorry!